It’s no secret that I haven’t been happy lately. It’s no secret that my partnership ended back back in July, but rather than just licking my wounds and walking away I tried to save that friendship. Since August, there have been many ups and downs, mostly downs, a couple of sickening disappointments. With a few exceptions I’ve been excruciatingly bored with my second life.
And yet, as in Basho’s great haiku, “dreams go wandering still”. I still believe Second Life is a great entertainment. I still have amazing friends. I still have places I enjoy visiting. I still have things I want to do. And I have a brand new computer will all kinds of power. So, I’m writing this journal entry to remind me how to get back from the brink when I’m ready to leave SL forever. I’ve written some notes to help me thru the periods when I lose interest in SL.
Second Life Should Be Fun
* It’s fun to dance, even to dance alone
* It’s fun to just wander around, exploring
* It’s fun to shop and shop and shop
* It’s fun to build things, to script things
* It’s fun to be part of groups
* It’s fun to have friends
* It’s really fun to find romance
Second Life Should Be On Your Terms
* It’s ok to set Busy or toggle off friends for privacy
* It’s ok to delete avs from your friends list
* It’s ok to delete groups that send too many notices
* It’s a good idea to mute avs who you don’t like
* It’s not safe to be too open about your real life
* It’s important to confront boredom when it happens
This has been a useful post for me. I’ve reminded myself of the things I enjoy and given myself some reminders to help in dealing with some of my frustrations. I’m hoping to heed my own advice when I need it.
(Btw, if anyone has any notes to add, just leave a comment.)